Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Looking Forward

Classes today really hit me hard today. I had a quiz in my Mechanics of Materials class. I failed this quiz. All day I studied and worked just to make sure I was prepared. In reality, I wasn't nearly prepared enough.

A friend asked me today, "If you died right now, would you be sure that you're going to Heaven?" Another friend quipped, "If you were arrested for being a Christian, would the authorities have enough evidence to convict you?"

These are really hard questions to answer. Much like my quiz, I initially thought myself well prepared, well suited for a perfect afterlife, you know? In regards to the second question posed earlier, would anybody know that I'm a Christian unless I told them? Is my life characterized by spiritual fruit? Or, am I just a Christian nut? If standing at the pearly gates, would God say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant?"

Well, if good works and deeds made my salvation possible, and sustained it daily, then no. In fact, I'd fail with flying colors! Salvation isn't based on things like that. No, not at all... It's really about the great things that God has done. We often say, "By grace alone" when describing our salvation (Christians, that is). I think this concept could and should be extended to say, "By God alone." We're in this, doing this, suffering this, learning this, experiencing this, enjoying this, loving this, and living this all for God!

Wait, hold up. I didn't explain a few additional points that I made earlier:

"Would anybody know that I'm a Christian unless I told them? Is my life characterized by spiritual fruit? Or, am I just a Christian nut?"

I so often try too hard to "act" like a Christian without having to actually do Christianity. That's right, I try to play the game without the pieces. As if God liked my big 'ole spiritual mask. (He doesn't, by the way.) God doesn't want my acts, my shows, my intense spirituality. He wants my heart.

He'll humble me to get at it. He'll tear off my mask, and he'll make weak my own strength. He'll put his spirit on me, and he'll teach me to rely on Him.

I'm so glad that there's no final exam in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment