It wasn't fun at first. When I knew I had to do it, I just looked at the piles of clothes and shoes and books and trash and just felt overwhelmed. It was one of those messes where I couldn't see the floor. I don't know how it gets that way, but it just does. Probably--no--DEFINITELY because I'm lazy.
The same thing can be said about my faith. If I don't keep it up, if I don't exercise it constantly, it falls into disrepair. It becomes messy and cluttered and harder to understand. If I don't study God's Word, I won't grow in my faith, but will only become stagnant, and let the mess of the world start building up on my heart.
One thing that finally motivated me to start cleaning was looking at my sister's half of the room...Spotless. I saw how beautiful and comfortable and nice it looked and I wanted the same for myself. I was motivated to clean because I saw what she had and I wanted the same thing too.
When I look at the faith of those whose faith is strong, like those older and wiser than me. Like those who trust God with everything, I see that they are joyous, no matter what the circumstances they're in. They love God through the good and the bad. They make it a point to grow closer with Him and don't have as much clutter as I do. (Of course, everyone has clutter, and these people aren't perfect, but their walks of faith are in much better shape than mine.) I see their faith and I want faith like theirs. I want to walk closer with God and see Him clearer. The only way I can do that is if I keep on coming back and clean up the clutter of my life over and over again.
Although the journey through the treacherous jungle of a messy bedroom was hard, and kicking up the dust really woke the sneezing monster up, I looked at my room when I was finished, (in fact, I'm sitting here looking at it now) and felt relieved, felt accomplished. I had finally done something that I needed to do.
In the same way, the journey to a stronger faith is hard. It's hard to be consistent in pursuing God every day. It's hard to remember sometimes. It hurts when it means you have to give up some things for Him. When I see the mountain ahead of me, I don't want to climb it. I don't even want to try, because I'm afraid it will hurt too much. But I realize that I must. In order for my relationship with God to grow, I need to pursue Him with all my heart. In the end, it will be worth it. In the end, I will have comfort in Him. In the end, I'll look at my faith and my relationship with God and will be glad that I tried. In the end, my task will be accomplished.
Only with His help, though, no other way. Only with His help and His grace can I perform my task and have stronger faith in Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment