Thursday, February 4, 2010

Question for Discussion #2

So, today's question is a tough one: "How can your partner challenge you in your relationship with God to keep it first and foremost?"

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure how to answer this question.

I can say, I desire to put Josh on a pedestal higher than where he belongs. Of course, I've already talked about that. But how can he help me to change that? We know that the situation we're in now is wrong, and we know we need to change it, but how can we help each other to change it and make God our first priority?

This requires action, not just sitting around and waiting for things to change. But what he has to do for me and what I have to do for him is to call each other out whenever we notice the other person putting themselves, the other person, or other things higher than God. It might be more apparent to him what I idolize, as it might be more apparent to me what he idolizes. The important thing is for us to bring it up to each other when we notice it. And to encourage one another in the ways of the Lord...

Wait, what does that exactly mean?

Well, I guess it means, to tell the other person when they're doing or saying something wrong, and motivate them to keep their mind on purer things, on Godly things. Our job is to (lovingly) help one another notice what we need to grow in, but also encourage each other in our strengths.

Part of it is being a good example to one another, to show the light of Christ to each other in the way that we behave. So that we can be motivated to live to give Him the glory. Another way we can be helping each other is to point us to rely on God for joy and happiness. Not on each other. This may sound strange, but it sometimes helps when Josh messes up, because I realize I can't rely on him to make me happy. Only God can be the one we can fully trust and put all our hope in.

To wrap things up, I'll try to summarize here: How can we challenge each other to put God first and foremost? By taking action and make an effort to encourage one another to put our minds on God and to live for Him. By being honest and pointing out when the other one is doing something wrong and reminding them of who they should try to please. Finally, we need to humble ourselves before God and realize that we are not the center of the world and we should put our selfish thoughts away. We just need to remind each other every day to live in a way to please God and shine His light, and to love Him for the wonderful God that He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment