Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Question for Discussion #1

So, we've been reading this book, "Devotions for Dating Couples" and it has discussion questions after every 5 or 6 chapters. Tonight I will answer the first question, honestly as I can.

It asked, "Are you ever tempted to elevate your partner or your love relationship over God Himself?

As much as I would like for my answer to be "No, I love God more than anything," I have to confess that would be a lie. When it says the word elevate, it means putting that person above God, of higher importance that Him. I put Josh above God in the sense that I think about him more than I think about God, and my wants and desires are focused more on him, and I leave God sitting on a back burner. Instead of reading the Bible or praying, I send a text message, because that is my initial thought, my initial desire, to talk to Josh.

I rely on him more than I do on God. When I'm upset, I talk to him about it. When I've done something wrong, I confess to him about it. While its not a bad thing for me to be open and honest with him, I cannot rely on him to be the first one that I come to. God is the only one who can give me true peace, He is the only one that can forgive me. Also, what happens when I rely and put all my hope and trust in Josh, I will be let down. Because, of course, he's not perfect.

What we need to do as a couple is to put God first, before our own wants, and before each other. We will grow because of this.

On the side of a praise, I will say that God has already helped me grow in this area over the past few months. I'm nowhere near perfect. But a few months ago, I was really putting Josh first, in such a way that it became stressful and unhealthy. I have seen growth since then, since I realized how wrong it was to put him first.

God has helped me to change in that way and to rely on Him more. And He will continue to persuade my heart to love Him better and put Him first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment