Thursday, April 8, 2010

God is Gracious

Today, I came to the wild realization that we do not control our lives. Sure, of course we can make choices for ourselves, but in the general scheme of things, do we really control our lives? We can't control sickness, disaster, and death. We cannot control the uncontrollable.

I came to this realization when I got a call from Josh saying that he had nearly gotten into a serious car accident. Immediately after the phone call, I thanked God for saving him, and then realized that He didn't really have to do that. At first, I think I was expecting Him to save us whenever we get into serious trouble like that. Then I realized, God didn't have to save Josh from death, or even from going to the hospital. God didn't have to keep his car from crashing the other. But He did.

What makes me think that it should be automatic that God should save us from death like that? We don't deserve for Him to protect us like that, and who is to say that He will do that every time?

He has not saved every believer from death. My Pop-pop died of cancer about 6 years ago, after being run to the emergency room one night, never to return from the hospital. He trusted God. God didn't save his life. Our youth pastor, Mr. Nic died of cancer November 2008, two weeks after we got the news of his cancer. Who is to say that God won't take my life from me tonight?Who is to say that God won't take Josh's life from him tomorrow?

It might sound like I'm complaining about God, saying that He is bad for not saving these people. In reality, however, He has saved them from Death. From eternal Death. When someone dies, if they trust in Jesus Christ as the propitiation for all of their sins, then Death is conquered for them. Pop-pop's and Mr. Nic's deaths weren't failures, but rather success stories of those who have gone before us into the Kingdom of God.

We should be ready for death, or Christ's second coming, at any moment, by trusting that Christ will take us into His Kingdom. Ready with wonderful anticipation. A woman I knew a few years back, Carol Cavil also died of cancer. On her deathbed, she couldn't wait to see Jesus! She said it was like waiting for Christmas, only so so so much better! She just wanted to be there! She trusted God and she was ready!

We need to have that kind of readiness. Not to be morbid about it, and not to wish that life would end prematurely (wanting to not deal with the hardships anymore), but to be excited to be with Jesus Christ, when the time comes, and to serve Him with our lives until that day comes.

Thank You, Jesus, for being my escape from eternal Death, and for being the assurance that I need not be afraid of physical death. Thank You for the gift of love you gave to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment