So, I wrote this note as part of an message chain on Facebook. I feel that it's relevant.
"I promise that i'm not neglecting you. Well, not intentionally, at least. Facebook and writing have not been high on my priority list. The working life does that to ya, I 'spose.
I thought/have been thinking a lot about the issue of Church, and have been attempting to make a case for switching to a new one. Didn't fly so high with Rebekah, that is. You see, we both attend a church located in our hometown. She's been going to this church for her whole life. Persuading her to switch would be a very hard task. Task away I did, however, and got nowhere. I became frustrated, questioning why we should stay there. (You see, my church is comprised of elderly folks, mostly.) Clearly, I can't directly be served by an elderly congregation. They aren't my age, and that age gap represents an incredible divide in thought, action, culture, and beliefs. Why should I stay?
To say that i came to some grand realization, some great point in thought, would be a lie. I've been sitting on the idea. Writing this note now, I've developed a few thoughts.
My blessings:
1. I go to a church where Jesus Christ is taught as Saviour, and Lord.
2. I go to a church that upholds the bible as the authoritative word of God.
3. I go to a church that is commited to prayer, service, outreach, evangelism, and community.
4. I go to a church with my girlfriend, Rebekah.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning your desire to change churches. Not at all! Instead, I want to ask: "what is the church?" A list, or an explanation, or anything whatsoever, is just fine. :)
Regarding your answer to the third question, do you display those qualities you listed? That is, as I understand them,
Care/concern
Devotion
Appreciation
Spontaneity
Dedication
I don't. In fact, I very rarely do. I know some people who have it all together, or appear as if they do. Internally, I am not such a saint. My heart strays, Cara. It yearns for different things, different thoughts, different events, etc. Yet, I don't compromise myself to believe in God.
Belief is my life.
Well, that's not true, actually. Faith is my life. My faithfulness? Oh no. God's faithfulness. On my own, I would have never sought to compromise any part of my own desires, thoughts, or actions. I just can't. They're inherent to me. But, I know and trust that i am in my Father's hands. That he takes care of me, and steers me in the right direction; whether that be through pain or through blessing.
I asked you about what faith looks like. I asked you about how you would go about finding God. I asked you about what your faith looks like.
I'll ask you one more question: "Who is God?"
You're probably like, "Oh ho ho ho! That's a mighty tough question, Josh-O."
I reason that, if you hadn't an idea, or an appreciation of God, you wouldn't have asked me to help at all. You've given me a reason as to why you'd desire to have this relationship, but what makes your soul yearn for Him? "Just who is God, and why is He so important?"
Again, take your time here. I can wait, hehe."
A friend asked me, about three months ago, to help her with her relationship with God. I feel that she alreadys knows/needs to discover these things for herself. Let her and God deepen their relationship together, you know?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment